New to the forum?

Already a member?
Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?  
mirena coil
9 Replies
hanz_1991 - August 15

hi im 19 and just had a baby i want a reliable form of contraception.i cantg use condoms so i want something that is very affective. as my pregnancy wasnt planned i have decided i dont want another baby for at least 3 years. has anyone had one of these fitted and if so could youy just tell me what to expect thanks.....

Rie - August 22

Why can you not use barrier methods like condoms?

Mirena is not aimed at young women, though I imagine that as you have been through labour they may let you have it - but it is expensive and some GPs are reluctant to give if you haven't tried other methods first.

Charleyy - September 2

I'm 17 and had a Mirena coil placed yesterday. I've had crampy period like pains since having it put in, but nothing major has occurred as of yet. If you've had a baby I can see no reason as to why they wouldn't place one for you. I had my baby boy 3months ago. It is a bit uncomfortable having the coil placed, but relaxing and not thinking about it helped me a lot. Speak to your local family planning clinic or your doctor about having one placed. They'll fill you in with all the side effects and anything else you will need to know.

Hope this helps.

Foxlaren1 - September 19

Rie you are totally wrong that Mirena is not for younger women.... Mirena is good for all women whether they ahev had a babay or not and with its positive benefits it out weighs any cost issue that there may be.

I had a Mirena fitted 3 years ago (£80/3 = £26 per year for my contraception is very cheap!) and once 4 months had passed I had no spotting in fact my periods stopped which is such a benefit!

I have tried many methods before I took the Yasmin pill for 4 years which I was really happy with and I had an implanon which WAS A NIGHTMARE...

So Rie before you scare any one away from Mirena maybe you should have one fitted... And for using condoms.... you need to move to the 21st century they are the most un reliable forms of contraception behind the withdrawl method.... :)

rie - September 19

Re Foxlaren1 :

If responding to a post, please have some decorum.

I am not sure why you feel that you are an authority on Mirena, BUT you are misguided. The rate of expulsion for nulliparous women is far higher than those that have had a pregnancy/labour. FACT.

The cost of Mirena is between £150 and £320 atm. If placed in a woman that is nulliparous and it is ejected, as is more likely this is a false economy, I am sure you would agree.

Failing to mention the pain that nulliparous woman face on insertion - sometimes for days.

There are many benefits, though not many women totally stop their monthly bleeding and indeed there are MANY more side effects associated with Mirena than women may experience with other methods.

I am glad that you found Yasmin so wonderful - but as with all things that too does not suit all women - do a search for my name and Yasmin for more info.

"So Rie before you scare any one away from Mirena maybe you should have one fitted... And for using condoms.... you need to move to the 21st century they are the most un reliable forms of contraception behind the withdrawl method.... :)"

Perhaps you should get your facts straight before attempting to appear superior. I have had a Mirena for the last year or two, am nulliparous , and DO know what I am talking about!

And again before making sweeping statements please back them up with FACTS not myths:
The methods below are all less effective than Male condoms - ye it is the 21st Century and so many methods are available depending on perosnal circumstances.
Ovulation method
TwoDay Method
Standard Days Method
Diaphragms with spermicide
Female condoms Other fertility awareness methods
Withdrawal Spermicides Cervical caps No method

Foxlaren1 - September 19

Dear Rie I’m sorry you felt like your knowledge is being questioned by me.... But I have to set you straight yet again.... Firstly Mirena does not "cost between £150 and £320 atm" it has a fixed cost to the NHS of £88 this does not alter unless you are wrongly including fitting fees.

Try to be objective rather than subjective when describing symptoms.... "Failing to mention the pain that nulliparous woman face on insertion - sometimes for days." is not mentioned as one of the side effects in the product information I guess Bayer left that out because it was too emotive.

I never spoke about fitting Mirena into nulips the lady who asked the question has just had a baby and you said she is too young to have a Mirena fitted which again is wrong.

I’m not an authority for Mirena but I am married to a family planning doctor so before I chose to have a Mirena fitted I read all of the available information so I could make an objective and informed choice and tried to ignore the knee jerk subjective posts made by some folk.

I’m really pleased you are happy with your Mirena 2 years is a good length of time to have one... I have read that the average length of time to have one is 36 months so I guess that is why NICE have recommended it as being cost effective.

I don’t doubt your quote about other methods of contraception but they are all so old fashioned especially now we have Mirena and Implanon

carlylou21 - September 27

hi i have been on microgynon for 11 years and needed a change. I have 2 children aged 6 and 16 months and felt that after talking to my Dr and other mums at school that the marena coil was the right choice for me. I had it fitted last fri 23rd sep, it is a very strange sensation having it fitted feels like having injections inside. It's not unbearable just uncomfortable for a short time. Im still having some cramps but it is just like period pain, nothing a couple of paracetamol can't sort. If cost for the NHS is a problem surely its cheaper than an unwanted pregnancy. Hope this is helpfull!

dawn170 - December 28

hi anyone out there I had a mirena coil fitted for heavy periods but now having trouble sleeping is this a coincidence or is it a side effect.. I am just getting to the end of the first 3 months and still spotting.

ladylazarus - December 3

I have had two Mirena coils fitted, following two babies and terrible endometriosis and cancer treatment. The first wasn't done properly, and I was in agony.

The second time, under light general anaesthetic, gave me some cramps for a month and then no problems. No more periods (saving on all the pads and tampons over 6 years), and it means I am on oestrogen only HRT, the safest combination according to recent Woman's Hour programme.
Hope this helps.

Mz Tatt - December 19

Ive had the mirena now for 8 months. I had it fitted because i had extreme heavy periods i mean like i was bleeding for 3 1/2 weeks constantly out of a month and id only stop for a day or so. Ive had the microcygnon pill and depo provera injection niether was that effective. Il admit the mirena is not as bad as i expected for the fitting just like having a smear but with a strange click inside didnt hurt at first but about an hour after it felt like i was in labour!! Il admit the first 3months was quite bad after having mirena fitted but now its well worth the perserverance!! And as for £90 for 5 years thats nothing really concidering i spent at least £50 per month on towels tampons and ibuprofen!! Hope this helps by the way im 25 with 2 children.

You must log in to reply.

Are you New to the forum? Sign Up Here! Already a member? Please login below.

Forgot your password?
Need Help?
Ask a Question